Solution - Deployment Using A RWX Volume Is Stuck In A 'ContainerCreating' State
- You are experiencing an issue where your Kubernetes resource that is using an Ondat RWX volume is stuck in
ContainerCreatingstate. Below is example outputs of a deployment experiencing this error message;
# Get the status of the pods in the "ondat-files" namespace. kubectl get pod --namespace=ondat-files NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE ondat-files-deployment-rwx-d68b4866d-khl2d 0/1 ContainerCreating 0 13m ondat-files-deployment-rwx-d68b4866d-twzrt 0/1 ContainerCreating 0 13m ondat-files-deployment-rwx-d68b4866d-z5xhm 0/1 ContainerCreating 0 13m # Get the status of the deployment, notice that the 0 out 3 pods are READY. kubectl get deployments.apps --namespace ondat-files NAME READY UP-TO-DATE AVAILABLE AGE ondat-files-deployment-rwx 0/3 3 0 18m
- Upon describing one of the replica pods of the deployment to further investigate, you may notice the following error message in the
rpc error: code = Internal desc = internal error: the "nfs" licence feature is required to perform the requested operation.
# Describe one of the affected replica pods of the deployment kubectl describe pod ondat-files-deployment-rwx-d68b4866d-twzrt --namespace ondat-files # truncated output... Events: Type Reason Age From Message ---- ------ ---- ---- ------- Normal Scheduled 18m storageos-scheduler Successfully assigned ondat-files/ondat-files-deployment-rwx-d68b4866d-twzrt to aks-default-15645363-vmss000000 Warning FailedMount 14m kubelet Unable to attach or mount volumes: unmounted volumes=[ondat-files], unattached volumes=[kube-api-access-ng2c5 ondat-files]: timed out waiting for the condition Warning FailedMount 67s (x7 over 16m) kubelet Unable to attach or mount volumes: unmounted volumes=[ondat-files], unattached volumes=[ondat-files kube-api-access-ng2c5]: timed out waiting for the condition Warning FailedAttachVolume 22s (x17 over 18m) attachdetach-controller AttachVolume.Attach failed for volume "pvc-41f429ff-3fa9-4361-b7bc-c55f869499ae" : rpc error: code = Internal desc = internal error: the "nfs" licence feature is required to perform the requested operation
- In order for end user to be able to successfully provision RWX volumes, an Ondat cluster must be licensed with either a Community, Standard or Enterprise Edition. RWX volume provisioning is available in the free Ondat Community Edition.
- For more information on licences, review the Ondat pricing page.
- To get the Community Edition licence, register your cluster through the Ondat SaaS platform and generate a licence so that it can be applied to your cluster.
💡 If you already have an Ondat cluster that is connected to the Ondat SaaS Platform, you can apply the licence automatically to the connected cluster following the steps below;
- Login to the Ondat SaaS Platform » Organisation » Licences » Generate A New Licence » Choose an existing cluster » Select the cluster that you want to apply a licence to.
- Once the cluster has been successfully licensed, end users will be able to create resources that use Ondat RWX volumes.